Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Difference A Day Makes

The day was Thursday, October 29th and I had been pushing all week to solidify sponsorship for the entrepreneur and small business owners cruise.  I was calling and emailing everybody and still nothing.  I was bummed and had no motivation and I just wanted to hide under the covers like I did when I was a little kid.  Except I'm not a kid anymore. What was I going to do?  It was pretty much Friday already and I felt like I had nothing to show for the week as it related to this event. Who was going to sponsor an event planned by a small company like Kennedy Consulting.

It's now Friday morning and I'm sitting at my desk starring at my computer screen going over in my head what else I could have done or who else I could have called.  Was it my pitch, was it the time I called...what was it? Then, the phone rang and I didn't recognize the 425 area code; who was this I wondered.  "Hello this is April" I said a bit cautiously and the voice on the other end said, "April this is Mr. X calling from Costco and I'd like to talk with you about your upcoming event."  At that moment my mind went completely blank, so I rattled off a few words before coming to my senses.  After I finished my pitch he said, "sounds like a great event and thanks for giving us such advanced notice, that says a lot about you and your company."  He requested for me to email him the sponsorship materials, so I did and I'm currently waiting for their decision.  

Even if Costco chooses not to sponsor our event next year, I have forever been changed by this experience.  The difference a day makes when you're an entrepreneur is huge! One day you are doing everything you can think of to make something happen and the next day, that which you have been working towards is a reality.  My friend Andrew Morrison who is the small business camp guru, made a statement that really stuck with me, he said "There are people out there who believe in your dreams."  Wow!  I thought, he's right all I have to do is connect with them and the rest will be history.  To my fellow entrepreneurs or those of you who hope to be, keep pushing and I guarantee that the results will amaze you.

Small business resource of the week Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I found this really inspirational. I'm actually motivated to spend a little more time working on my personal project to see if I can't find someone that will believe in my dreams too.

    Thanks April! And I hope that Costco does follow through as one of your sponsors. That would be pretty nice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it and don't hesitate! Like my friend Andrew said, someone will believe in your dream. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete