Tuesday, December 15, 2009

1+1=3 (part two)



There's no question that starting and maintaining a successful business in any economy is difficult at best. However, with the right business partners the process of building and sustaining can be more conducive for remaining sane.  Since starting this journey in early 2008 I have accumulated more gray hair than I want to admit but this in fact is a small price to pay for the continued reciprocal benefits I enjoy everyday.  Indeed there are no "rock stars" in small business only those who are willing to roll up their sleeves and accomplish what needs to be done every day. Finding even one individual that is willing to work just as hard to build a business that provides only modest immediate rewards is not impossible but takes much time and patience.  However, there are those times when you get it right on the first try like I did.

This week, part two of my interview with Kennedy Consulting's Senior Consultant, Lauren Smith.

April: Last week we talked a little bit about your background and also discussed the journey you took to starting your own company Head Not Tail, Inc. in 2002. Can you talk briefly about what attracted you to Kennedy Consulting?

Lauren: We've known each other for over a decade and I truly respect and appreciate the level of professionalism, enthusiasm, spirituality and organization that April brings to her business.

April: There's no question that you emulate those same qualities and then some this has undoubtedly been one of the biggest reasons for our successful partnership.  So would you say then that strategic partnerships play a pretty significant role in growing a business?

Lauren: I think strategic partnerships are essential to accelerate the growth of any business. This has become apparent to me over the years, in my role as a small business owner, as well as during my time in Corporate America.

April: I find that this is true in my experience as well.  Lauren this interview has been great and hopefully now the readers have a better idea of who you are and what you bring to this company.  As a final question what type of advice would you give to those business owners who are looking to solidify strategic partnerships and how can they sustain them over time?

Lauren: I believe business partnerships are similar to friendships, in that a successful relationship will be based on common interests and goals.  To me, the key to sustaining these relationships is communication.  The communication does not necessarily have to be constant, although in the first stages of the partnership this probably makes more sense.  However, the communication must be open and honest, with the understanding that there are common interest and goals and that each party wants to help the other succeed.

Thank you Lauren and I have no doubts that we will be hearing and seeing more great things from you in the near future.  If you are a small business owner and you're looking for the right partner take your time in the selection process and you just may get it right the first time as I did.  I wish you much business success.

Small Business Resource of the Week: Maryland-Governor's Office Minority Affairs

Note:  [If you receive an error message when posting a comment just click "post comment" twice.]

2 comments:

  1. Good read , as a small business owner myself who just started in Oct of this year it is def not easy! but its rewarding that its yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Niks! There is nothing like it, headaches and all. I wish you much success now and in the new year to come.

    ReplyDelete